Love Live: School Idol Festival Review iOS


 

  


Lately I have been looking for some games to play on my iPhone since I'm always finding myself waiting around with nothing to do except check social networking sites on my phone during the waits between classes, bus rides, and whatnot. Plenty of my mutuals on tumblr, and a few people on instagram too have been posting things from the game Love Live: School Idol Festival which is available in Japanese, English (and Korean I think?) for Andriod and iOS.


The game is a bit difficult to understand if you're just starting up, but I used a wonderful guide from reddit that went through a lot of things that I wasn't quite sure about. 

You start off by choosing a character from the main group in the anime to represent you and lead your idol group. I chose Kotori because she is my waifu. It doesn't really matter too much who you choose at the beginning because you will likely end up replacing them in the future with a higher level card like ultra rares or super rares. As you can see above, my current leader is a Super Rare Hanayo, but you can switch between leaders as the avatar on your main page. So far my favourite dialogue is still Kotori though, since her voice is very cute.


Throughout the game you continue to unlock short chapters with unique dialogues between characters. I really like seeing them since its almost like a continuation of the anime for me ~ Oh I should mention that they use the same voice actors from the anime (▰˘◡˘▰)

  


The basic idea of the game is to form an idol group with good attributes for the three types of songs: cool, pure and smile. Above is my smile group, featuring my super rare Hanayo, my rare Kotori, Maki, Nozomi, Honoka, my ultra rare Nozomi and some normal level cards (which are minor characters that have their own mini-introductions which you can unlock by playing them!)


Once you have your idol group, you can start the main aspect of the game which is performing songs. There are 3 song groups as I mentioned: smile (pink), cool (blue) and pure (green.) Idols with higher stats and higher levels in these categories earn more points in songs of the same category. There are 4 difficulties ranging from easy to expert, but mainly easy to hard for the main songs. (I think expert is only for event songs?) 

  


The performing mini-game is a mixture of osu and ddr almost. You tap the face of the idol when a circle aligns with them (to the beat of the song.) Based on your accuracy you earn a perfect, great, good, bad or miss which determines how many points you get per note. Certain rare and higher idols have special effects such as bonus points when you chain or when a certain amount of time passes. 


 At the end of the song they mark you based on your overall score. If you get only greats or higher then you will get a perfect chain (S level). If you get S level chain, an S level rank on the song and play the song the number of times required for S level, you will unlock gold and friend points to spend.

  



The only complaint I have about this game is that its very difficult to unlock rare cards and higher because they cost a special currency called Loveca, which you can only get through achievements that take a while to unlock, or by purchasing them with real money. One Loveca is priced at $1.19 USD and it requires 5 Loveca to purchase a rare or better card, with only a 10% chance of getting a Super Rare or Ultra Rare card. (VERY DIFFICULT.) In order to guarantee Super Rare or Ultra Rare cards one has to participate in events which take a lot of time and effort to complete, save up Loveca (which also takes time and effort) or purchase 50 Loveca which guarantees a super rare or higher when scouting.

Despite this issue, the game is still incredibly addictive and FREE to play so I would recommend getting it if you are a fan of Love Live or just like these sorts of games in general.

  


If you already play I recommend creating an account on School Idol Tomodachi  which is a social networking site of sorts for the game. The site allows you to track which cards you have, if you have them max leveled or idolized and also create a wishlist of which cards you want. You can also make friends, chat and learn from others on the site. If you want, you can add me on here and I will likely add everyone back! It also has my info for adding me in the game :)


  







12 comments:

  1. I downloaded it yesterday, too! Thank you for the guide!

    Kiyomoi ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahh ^^ I'm glad more people I know are playing :)

      Delete
  2. haha I heard of it a few days ago and downloaded it! But i suck at rhythm games so I kind of gave up.. maybe I'll give it another go :)
    Jessie @ bijou-heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. even if you play on the easiest modes you can still earn points and experience! it just takes a little longer ~

      Delete
    2. I've gotten addicted after like 1 month omg >.< Btw do you play LINE PLAY? I wrote a post on my blog about three JP games people should play (Including LSIF) X:

      Delete
    3. yeah I do~ my line play ID Is Cresselia with a heart on the end~ I don't play it as often though.

      Delete
  3. I'm so hooked on this game!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its so addictive ; - ; I love collecting in games so I can't stop playing haha

      Delete
  4. Oooo didn't know about that beginners guide...
    I downloaded this game awhile ago and didn't really know what I was doing xD I since then deleted it because I have no memory left on my phone :( ahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yeah the beginners guide was really helpful cuz I was pretty lost at the start LOL

      Delete
  5. I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger award!! :D
    http://hellotokki.blogspot.com.au/2015/03/the-versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete